In Production, our incubator for career makers
About In Production
On March 1st, 2016, In Production, the Turning Earth collaborative work studio designed especially for small ceramics businesses, will open within the Turning Earth centre in Argall Ave E10.
This opportunity is open to any ceramicist in the London area who wants support taking their career to the next level within a collective studio environment.
Sign up here to take advantage of one week’s worth of training that we’re offering to all makers who start when we open on March 1st. The training will cover technical studio skills and business skills to enable makers to get off the ground.
Rental price: £275 per month
Refundable key deposit: £100
- Includes use of all shared equipment and any-time access.
- Minimum contract length is six-months.
- Your deposit of £100 will be returned when you leave the studio.
- Please note: the feasibility of 24-hour access is still being determined. There may be some security measures around locking at night, in the interest of the safety of everyone’s work. Please check back for updates.
Additional costs (guide prices)
- Firing is charged per use, by the half kiln (prices based on 290 litre internal volume L&L kiln)
- Half kiln £12 earthenware (covers energy, element use, normal wear and tear)
- Half kiln £15 stoneware
- 15p per litre for bisque in a shared firing
- Clay is available at Turning Earth reduced member prices.
- Other materials available at cost through our shop.
- Glaze materials will be sold in the amounts needed at cost to give you ready access to materials at bulk prices
- Packaging materials will also be available at cost, to make fulfilment straightforward and affordable
Please note: as a condition of membership, makers must each clean for one hour each week on a schedule.
- Personal 8-shelf storage trolley (61 x 100 x 178cm) with removable wooden shelves
- Additional storage space for other equipment including
- plaster moulds
- kiln shelves
- complete work
- Large industrial kiln
- 3 x L&L top-loading kilns
- 12 shimpo wheels
- Making tables
- 2 x Slab rollers
- Spray booth
- Damp storage
- Waste collection systems
- Shop with glaze materials and packing supplies at cost
- Technician onsite 25 hours a week to assist with inductions, cleaning, and to give guidance on glaze mixing and kiln loading
- Manager onsite 10 hours a week to handle supplies, studio rental, and operational management
Ongoing support and training
Full inductions and training on kiln firing and all machines in use at Turning Earth will be given to all makers before they start.
There is also a technician on hand for 20 hours a week to give advice on kiln programming, glaze mixing, clay reclaim, plaster and other studio processes. Makers will be supported to learn to manage their studio needs as they grow an independent business.
Kiln and equipment maintenance and repairs will be undertaken by members with full support and guidance from our technical team. This is to help you develop full confidence in studio management so you can operate an independent studio.
Additional studio training for makers that start on March 1st
- ½ day kiln programming workshop
- ½ day kiln repair and maintenance course
- 1 day glaze mixing course
- ½ day training on clay reclaiming
- 1 day course on plaster mould making
- Business planning - cashflow forecast and profit and loss
- How to handle VAT
- Intellectual Property (designs and brand)
- PR and Marketing
Resources for makers include:
- On-site gallery
- Meeting area where you can bring clients
- Office equipment with printer and power outlets
- Photo booth and product photo mentoring
- Website profile
- Business support program
- Regular group networking events
- Access to start-up training events with our partners
- Business support and mentoring (from Summer 2017)
- Promotion of your unique brand within the ‘In Production’ collective identity
Capability with large orders
- Framework for collaboration and peer support for large orders
- Equipment available for large runs
- Maker credit currency to enable makers to easily trade time hour for hour to accommodate large orders
£15 a day for an additional worker (must be fully inducted into all relevant equipment)
Turning Earth environment
- 2,000 sq ft workspace
- Access to the Turning Earth Centre facilities
- Abundant natural light
- Beautiful, bright, well-maintained space to work
- Outside seating area
- Turning Earth creative community
- Maximum occupancy of 40 makers
- Quarterly members meeting where members have a say in the development of the organisation
- Regular footfall into the onsite gallery from class participants
Teaching opportunities and development
- Priority training to become a Turning Earth teacher
- Priority allocation of Turning Earth classes once qualified, held in the dedicated classroom area within the centre.